At Abbey Park we believe in encouraging excellence for all; enabling our children to become successful, confident and caring citizens of our diverse world. We work together to create a happy environment where all members of the school community feel safe, can enjoy, achieve and make a positive contribution to the school and wider community where we can achieve together through kindness, confidence and self-esteem.
Our aim is that children should:
- Enjoy their Primary school years and develop high self-esteem regardless of ‘academic’ ability.
- Feel safe and secure and keep healthy in class, playgrounds and after school activities.
- Enjoy equal opportunities to succeed.
- Have a passion for learning and experience success.
- Develop lively, enquiring minds and become confident communicators.
- Experience teaching of the highest quality and develop core skills to a high level.
- Develop perseverance, flexibility, independence and a wider range of other learning skills.
- Be well mannered, respecting themselves, others and the environment.
- Make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community.
- Appreciate the beauty, the diversity of the world and their duty to protect it.
We aspire to achieve these aims by:
- Putting the personal development and well-being of our pupils first.
- Having high and consistent expectations of all pupils, families and staff.
- Maximising the time allocated to learning.
- Emphasising the pupil activity and independence in learning – more doing, less listening.
- Providing a broad, constantly evolving, innovative, exciting, forward-thinking curriculum that enriches and challenges and takes account of the pupil voice.
- Providing opportunities for children to develop skills of investigation, enquiry, communication and co-operation.
- Maintaining a school environment that is welcoming, organised, stimulating, tidy, clean and safe.
- Promoting a culture where pupils are happy, believe they can succeed, take responsibility for their learning, set targets for their own achievement and develop as independent learners.
- Creating a happy, industrious atmosphere that models, promotes and celebrates good behaviour.
- Working in partnership with parents, acknowledging and supporting their role as they primary educators of their children and providing them with the information to help their children learn well.
- Involving the children in community activities to develop their sense of belonging and responsibility.
- Offering an enriching programme of extra-curricular activities and visits.
- Being an inclusive school that uses a wide range of teaching and learning strategies, technologies and high quality resources in order to ensure that all learners reach their full potential.
- Using systems of recruitment and support that attract high quality staff and governors.
- Developing everyone’s knowledge and understanding of the issues in their own enviroment and the wider world.